+63917 529 8472
Tue-Sat: 8 AM - 5 PM

News and Updates

The latest immigration and visa news for the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and select European countries - straight from the leading immigrant advocates in the Philippines.

Temporary Visas

With a few exceptions, all nonimmigrants (temporary visitors) to the United States are considered to be intending immigrants unless they can prove otherwise: The U.S. Embassy in Manila reports an 80% approval rate and therefore, a 20% rate of refusal for those applying for nonimmigrant/tourist visas.

Originally posted on February 26, 2015; updated June 23, 2015

Temporary Visas

Tourists.Visitor Visas Issued to those visiting the US temporarily for business (B-1) or for pleasure (B-2). The consul decides on the duration and frequency of entries for example, single entry for a specific period; multiple entries for one year or multiple entries for a maximum validity of 10 years.  Unlike the application for a visit or tourist visa to Australia, Canada, New Zealand, UK and Schengen states, a B-1 or B-2 applicant must appear before a consular officer for an interview.

Working. Temporary Work Visas The most common temporary working visa is under the H-1 category: H-1A for Agricultural Workers; H-2B for Non-Agricultural Skilled Workers; H-1B for jobs requiring bachelor’s degrees, generally for professionals and occupations requiring licensure.  The H-1B is now a visa lottery program where qualified applicants compete for the 65,000 yearly quota (6,800 of which are for those eligible under the U.S. Chile and Singapore free trade agreements). Another 20,000 H-1B visas are allocated to applicants who have obtained their Master’s degrees or higher in the U.S.  Then there is the H-3 visa for trainees.


Student Visas - For new graduates, those who are not yet eligible to migrate or do not have employers as sponsors pursuing  Studying Abroad is the Most Viable Migration Option.


Other Temporary Working Visas: Occupation Based

There are other visas that allow an applicant to work in the US either because they are practicing their occupation and paid by their employer in the US or the Philippines. These include Representatives of Foreign Media (“I” visa); Intracompany Transferee Executive or Manager (L-1A); Intracompany Transferee Specialized Knowledge (L-1B);  Individuals with Extraordinary Ability or Achievement (O-1); Internationally Recognized Athlete (P-1A); Member of Internationally Recognized Entertainment Group (P-1B); Performer or Group Performing under Reciprocal Exchange Program (P-2);  Artist or Entertainer Part of a Culturally Unique Program (P-3)Cultural Exchange (Q); Temporary Religious Workers (R-1) and NAFTA Professionals (TN).

Business.  Applicants engaged in business, commerce or trade could qualify for the Treaty Traders visa (E-1); Treaty Investors (E-2); Certain Specialty Occupation Professionals from Australia (E-3)


Complete list of Nonimmigrant Temporary Visas

Got a migration question? Let us know - we're here to help

Because you deserve to know, get basic FREE advice first


ICEF logoPIER logoANZCHAM logoBritish Council logo