+63917 529 8472
Tue-Sat: 8 AM - 5 PM

News and Updates

The latest immigration and visa news for the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and select European countries - straight from the leading immigrant advocates in the Philippines.

Some Visa Options for Working in Australia

If you hope to apply for skilled work in Australia, we recommend some self-reflection first so you can make an informed decision to continue or look for other options.

Crispin Aranda

Some Visa Options for Working in Australia

There are many classes of Australia work visas. You can see for yourself how you are going to work in Australia with these three questions:

  1. What kind of work do you intend to do?
  2. How long is the intended work for?
  3. Will you apply independently or be sponsored for work?

What kind of work do you intend to do?

You might qualify if you intend to work as any of the following:

  • Air or sea crew
  • Attend or work at a special event/activity
  • Business or investment
  • Represent a foreign Government, teach a foreign language or do domestic work (diplomatic or consular)
  • Participate in a research project
  • Post-study work training and internship
  • Skilled/highly specialized work
  • Working holiday or seasonal work
  • Youth, school or staff exchange program
  • Work in a Pacific Labour Scheme specified industry

Are you interested in sponsorship or independent skilled immigration? Read up on the options you may qualify for.

How long do you intend to stay?

Up to three months.

Subclass 400 Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visa. You might qualify if you have specialized skills, knowledge, or experience not generally available in Australia.

You can only apply for SC 400 Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visa if you are applying from OUTSIDE Australia. Before you decide if this visa is for you, though, you should know that the condition No Further Stay or Extension applies to it.

Up to four years.

Two visas come to mind:

  1. Temporary Skills Shortage visa (TSS)
  2. Subclass 489 Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa.

The TSS has three additional streams:

  • Short Term Stream
  • Medium Term Stream
  • Labour Agreement Stream

You will be limited to work in regional Australia if you apply for the SC 489 Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa. You can, however, bring your family, and may be eligible to adjust status in the future by applying for permanent residence.

Get to know how else you may qualify to apply for permanent residence.

Authors & Contributors

Crispin Aranda

Crispin Aranda

Crispin R. Aranda is an established International Visa Conselor and Immigrant Advocate. He is the president of IVC and is in several migration radio programs.

Do you want to know if you qualify for skilled immigration to Australia?

Send us your resume and wait for 5 to 7 working days for the result!


ICEF logoPIER logoANZCHAM logoBritish Council logo