(+632) 400 2838 / +63917 529 8472
Mon-Fri: 9 AM - 5 PM

News and Updates

The latest immigration and visa news for the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and select European countries - straight from the leading immigrant advocates in the Philippines.

This is a dated article.

This article is dated, and may no longer be accurate at this time due to changes in immigration laws, programs, or procedures. Please contact us or check out our list of articles for updated information.

Prospective Marriage Visa including May 2018 Update

Know the updated requirements and the 4 steps to apply including requirements, payment and processing time.

Crispin ArandaOriginally posted on June 4, 2018; updated December 1, 2015

Prospective Marriage Visa including May 2018 Update

Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300

Allows people (18 years and above) to come to Australia to marry their prospective spouse within nine (9) months of admission in this category and subsequently apply for a Partner visa (Subclass 820 and 801) before the Prospective Marriage visa expires.

The temporary Partner visa (subclass 820) is granted first and lets the applicant to stay in Australia while the permanent Partner visa (subclass 801) is processed.

Visa processing takes anywhere from 12 to 15 months. The visa costs from AUD $7,000

Last updated 15 May 2018 (for month ending 30 April 2018)

The visa allows you to

  • travel to and stay in Australia for up to nine months
  • work in Australia
  • study in Australia at your own expense
  • travel outside Australia as many times as you want. ​

Applicant’s obligations

You should marry your prospective spouse and apply for a Partner visa (subclass 820 and 801) before the Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300) expires. You and your children must comply with Australian laws and your visa conditions.

Marriage between persons of opposite or same sex

Notice of Intent to Marry (NOIM) Before a marriage ceremony can be solemnised, the couple must decide where the marriage will take place and whether the ceremony will be a religious or civil event. Both forms of ceremony performed by an authorised marriage celebrant are recognised as legal marriages under Australian law.

Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) must be completed and lodged with the celebrant who is performing the ceremony at least one calendar month, but no more than 18 months, before the preferred date of marriage. The Notice of Intended Marriage form is available from the proposed celebrant. 

The marriageable age in Australia is 18 years as evidenced by the person’s birth certificate or passport, driver’s license or other officially issued identification.

Previous marriages. If either person has been married before, that person must show the celebrant proof that they are free to remarry. That proof is usually a Certificate of Divorce or a death certificate. In certain cases, a Court Order Declaring the Other Spouse Legally Dead (in the Philippines) may be considered.

Same-sex marriage

On 9 December 2017 legislation to allow same-sex couples to marry in Australia was passed into law. The Marriage Amendment (Definitions and Religious Freedoms) Act 2017 redefines the definition of marriage in Australia as:

    ‘the union of 2 people to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life’

Other requirements for getting married in Australia have not changed. Couples are still required to lodge a Notice of Intended Marriage with their preferred Authorised Marriage Celebrant at least one calendar month before their desired marriage date.

Sponsors-  an Australia citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen 18 years old and above must be the prospective spouse of the visa applicant.​

Sponsor obligations. The sponsor must accept responsibility for the money that the prospective spouse owes the Australian government; the prospective spouse obligations to their employment in Australia and the prospective spouse compliance with the conditions of their visa.

Four Steps to Apply for the Prospective Marriage Visa

1.  Before you apply

Health checks may be complied with before applying for the visa, or until after the application is submitted.  Health check is valid only for a year. Check the processing times for this visa. If processing takes more than a year, yiu may have to have a new health check .

2.  Gather documents

  •  Applicant documents – evidence of relationship with partner/sponsor; documents showing the termination of previous marriage or relationships if applicable. Health check and character or police clearance.
  • Sponsor documents – evidence of Australian citizenship or permanent residency; police certificates and proof of domicile in Australia.
  • Dependents under 18 – identity documents, consent to travel and apply for the visa if another person has legal right or custody of child. Adoption papers or parental court ofders if applicable.
  • Dependents 18 or older – identity documents; proof that the dependent has been financially dependent on applicant for at least 12 months immediately applying; adoption papers or parental court orders if applicable.​

2.  Prepare your documents 

If applying online

  • All non-English documents must be translated into English. Contact the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters for a translator.
  • Translators outside Australia do not need to be accredited, but they must endorse the translation with their full name, address, telephone number, and details of their qualifications and experience in the language being translated.
  • Scan and attach all documents (English and non-English documents) to your online application.
  • Your documents do not have to be certified
  • Send each document only once. For example, if you are using your dependent’s birth certificate to prove their identity and to prove their relationship to you, only send the certificate once.

3.  Apply

You must be outside Australia when you apply for the visa and have a valid passport. The Australian Embassy in Manila strongly recommends using the online application for better monitoring and tracking, payment and submission of documents. 

Start your application by creating an ImmiAccountl or use your partner’s ImmiAccount. If you already have one, log in to start your application then lodge application after completing process and payment.

4.   After you apply

  • Provide police certificate/s as well as biometrics when instructed.
  • Get health checks
  • Send more information or documents if necessary
  • Update your information for any changes in your circumstances, change of address, contact information; additional family member, changes in marital or civil status

Authors & Contributors

Crispin Aranda

Crispin Aranda

Crispin R. Aranda is an established International Visa Conselor and Immigrant Advocate. He is the president of IVC and is in several migration radio programs.

Are you in a legitimate relationship with an Australia Citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand Citizen?

Don't let legalities get in the way of finally being together! Get the advice you need and deserve to ensure that your sponsorship application is processed efficiently. Book an appointment online with IVC's MARA Agent for the best legal and profession


ICEF logoPIER logoANZCHAM logoBritish Council logo