+63917 529 8472
Tue-Sat: 8 AM - 5 PM

News and Updates

The latest immigration and visa news for the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and select European countries - straight from the leading immigrant advocates in the Philippines.

Migrating to France? Bon Voyage, Mon Ami - Adieu!

Yes you need basic proficiency in French. So save up and instead of spending on french fries, pay up for French language lessons In the meantime, here's an overview of how to go about applying for a visa and what to expect before you leave.

Crispin ArandaOriginally posted on August 14, 2016; updated August 14, 2016

Migrating to France? Bon Voyage, Mon Ami - Adieu!

France, Beyond the Basics

France has the world's sixth-largest economy by nominal figures and the ninth largest economy by PPP figures. It has the third-largest economy in Europe with Germany and the UK in 1st and 2nd. Wikipedia

GDP per capita42,503.30 USD (2013) World Bank

Gross domestic product2.806 trillion USD (2013) World Bank

Unemployment rate10.5% (Apr 2015) Eurostat

Minimum wage1,457.52 EUR per month (Jan 2015) Eurostat

Gross national income2.544 trillion PPP dollars (2013) World Bank

GDP growth rate0.3% annual change (2013) World Bank

CurrenciesEuro, CFP franc


Primer on French Law (From Tourist to Resident – and Citizenship) - http://www.frenchlaw.com/Immigration_Visas.htm

Overview of French life, history, immigration and visas. With a few exceptions, those intending to migrate to France (long stay or permanent residency including students, those in occupations and professions) must have basic proficiency in French. Otherwise, career progression, integration and success in undertaking will be difficult.

Free Public Information on French life – But You must be proficient in French.- https://www.service-public.fr/


Visas Issue or  Processed at the French Embassy, Makati, Philippines

  • Spouses of French Citizens
  • Family members of EU, EEA, Swiss citizens "Family member” refers to married spouses, minor children below 18 y/o, and qualified dependents above the age of 21
  • Scholars of the French government
  • Scientists/Researchers with a « Convention d’Accueil » (short stay only)

Work to Residence Option to France – Blue Card (European Commission)

To come to France as a highly-qualified worker, you must obtain an EU Blue Card.

You must have an employment contract valid for at least 12 months and earn at least 1.5 times the minimum wage (SMIC).

You must also hold a degree achieved after at least three years of higher education. Alternatively, you can prove your qualifications by providing evidence of 5 years of professional experience at an equivalent level.

Employees on Assignment

The permit for employees on assignment (salarié en mission) concerns non-EU citizens employed by a foreign company who are temporarily seconded to or employed by a company belonging to the same group in France.

You must obtain a long-stay visa.

You must have worked with the foreign company for at least three months and should:

  • Carry out an assignment for at least three months in France;
  • Earn a gross salary equivalent to or higher than 1.5 times the minimum French wage (SMIC);
  • Bring a specific expertise to the French company or attend a training course for the implementation of a project abroad.

 You are not subject to the labour market test.


Frequently Asked Questions, Visas to France

Click the link below for the most common questions asked by individuals intending to visit France temporarily or permanently


Authors & Contributors

Crispin Aranda

Crispin Aranda

Crispin R. Aranda is an established International Visa Conselor and Immigrant Advocate. He is the president of IVC and is in several migration radio programs.

Get the latest visa & migration news from IVC - FREE!

Become your own migration expert and join successful immigrants overseas!


ICEF logoPIER logoANZCHAM logoBritish Council logo