+63917 529 8472
Tue-Sat: 8 AM - 5 PM

News and Updates

The latest immigration and visa news for the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and select European countries - straight from the leading immigrant advocates in the Philippines.

The Truth Behind Studying in Australia for Immigration

The cost of studies in Australia—and the show money that comes with pursuing an academic program—is substantial. How about the benefit? Does studying really qualify you to apply for permanent residence later? Does the price justify the prize?

Crispin Aranda

The Truth Behind Studying in Australia for Immigration

Education is a tool for self-improvement, personal success, and economic empowerment. We see evidence of this truth around us. Therefore, selecting an appropriate course is the key to reaching your goal.

A bachelor's degree is standard for entry-level, white-collar jobs in the Philippines. To distinguish themselves from their peers, some graduates opt to study overseas for career advancement here or in Asia.

In the scenario above, the cost of your education is justified. After all, many opportunities are open for those who've earned an advanced degree in a first-world country.

However, if your long-term goal is skilled immigration, get a second opinion first. Don't commit to enroll in a college or university course yet—even if the offer for processing is free.

You see, in this situation, the degree or diploma you will earn is a secondary concern. Your new credential is only a supplement to qualify for permanent residence on the federal or state/territory level. By itself, it may not be enough for you to immigrate successfully.

You may ask, is it worth investing in an application to study in Australia? Yes, but learn how to go about it correctly so you can make an informed decision.

With skilled immigration in mind, here are two facts that a majority of potential students overlook.

First, you must nominate an occupation on Australia's Medium and Long Term Skills Shortage List or MLTSSL. If it isn't there, it won't matter how many master's degrees you earn. You won't be eligible for skilled immigration.

It's a different case if an employer sponsors you, but that's a topic for another post. We will, however, leave you with a word of caution. For you to qualify to work in Australia, your trade or profession must be on the Short Term Skills Occupations List.

Don't lose hope, though. Many trades and professions are listed on the MLTSSL.

Second, you must get a suitable assessment from the specific assessing authority for the profession you nominate.

For a positive outcome, your experience, formal education, and documented training will be reviewed by the assessing authority.

If your occupation requires registration in Australia, then you must take a licensure exam as well. In this case, a bridging or an academic course comes in handy. You can use either type of program to fill in the gaps in your education and work experience.

The bottom line?

If you intend to study in Australia with an eye towards permanent residence, later on, have an assessment first. Then, choose the most appropriate program that will help you reach your end goal.

Read an overview of the Points-Stream of the Independent Skilled Subclass 189 visa.

Authors & Contributors

Crispin Aranda

Crispin Aranda

Crispin R. Aranda is an established International Visa Conselor and Immigrant Advocate. He is the president of IVC and is in several migration radio programs.

Information from many sources can get complicated. Simplify it.

Because you deserve answers from immigration professionals.


ICEF logoPIER logoANZCHAM logoBritish Council logo