+63917 529 8472
Tue-Sat: 8 AM - 5 PM

News and Updates

The latest immigration and visa news for the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and select European countries - straight from the leading immigrant advocates in the Philippines.

Express Entry and the Comprehensive Ranking System

Applicants using the Express Entry system will be awarded points based on age, work experience, education, language test and family members who are Canadian Citizens and permanent residents.

Originally posted on June 13, 2017; updated June 13, 2017

Express Entry and the Comprehensive Ranking System

Remember, you would have to enter the Express Entry pool if you are applying for permanent residency to Canada through either the Federal Skilled Worker Class (FSWC), Federal Skilled Trades Class (FSTC), or Canadian Experience Class (CEC).  

You may qualify for the CEC if you already have skilled work experience in Canada, either as a temporary foreign worker or on a postgraduate work permit after completing your course as an international student.  Some of the Provincial Nominee Programs also use the Express Entry system. 

The Comprehensive Ranking System (or CRS) awards different points depending if you have a spouse or common law partner. Based on a 1,200 point system, the CRS has four parts:

  • Skills and experience factors which has a maximum of 500 points for single applicants and 460 points for candidates who are married or who have a common-law partner;
  • Spouse or common-law partner factors, maximum of 40 points
  • Core/human capital factors which carries a maximum of 100;
  • Additional points which has a maximum of 600 points.

To get a higher CRS ranking with the Express Entry system, you should have either of the following to be awarded additional points:

  • A valid job offer and/or;
  • A provincial or territory nomination;
  • Completed post-secondary studies in Canada;
  • You received a job offer from a Canadian employer;
  • At least one brother or sister living in Canada who is 18 years old or older either a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident;
  • Strong French language skills.

Points will be awarded to you using the information you provided on your Express Entry profile.  With the CRS, you will be ranked against others in the pool.  It is therefore important to note that the distribution of the pool changes every time a new candidate enters or leaves the Express Entry pool.

Core/Human Capital Factors

This includes age, your level of education after Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) is made, the Canadian Language Benchmark equivalent of your scores from language proficiency exams and work experience.

You get the maximum CRS points on the age factor if you are between 20 and 29 years of age: 110 points if you are single and;100 points if you are married or have a common-law partner.

Canadian Education and International Students

If you intend to apply to the Federal Skilled Worker Program, your Education Credential Assessment (or ECA) must prove that your academic credentials are equivalent to a completed Canadian credential.  If you are hoping to apply to the Federal Skilled Trades Program or Canadian Experience Class, you will also earn more points for the education component on the CRS if you can submit an ECA, thereby improving your chances of obtaining an ITA.

You may get up to 140 points if you are married or have a common-law partnership or 150 points if you are single, for the education factor.  If you graduate from an eligible program of study in Canada, you may be awarded as much as 50 points for your education level.  As the principal applicant, you must have studied full-time for at least 8 months in Canada at a Canadian educational  institution.  You must have also been present in Canada for at least eight months of the study program.

Discover how being a Canada student visa holder can work for you!

Job Offer

With the latest update to the Express Entry sytsem, you don't have to register with Job Bank.  You can however, create a Job Match account to help you in your quest for work.

To date, you will obtain 200 points for a job offer if your arranged employment is in Major Group 00 Senior Management Occupations of the National Occupational Classification System (NOC).  If your job offer is in any other skilled occupation in the 0, A and B group of the NOC, you will be awarded 50 points.

Confused about the best career pathway for you?

Allow us to help you plan your career overseas.


ICEF logoPIER logoANZCHAM logoBritish Council logo