+63917 529 8472
Tue-Sat: 8 AM - 5 PM

News and Updates

The latest immigration and visa news for the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and select European countries - straight from the leading immigrant advocates in the Philippines.

Documents Required for an Irish Student Visa Application

If you want to launch a European career, why not start by taking further studies in Ireland to improve your credentials? Know what documents are needed to apply for an Irish student visa.

Jennifer ArandaOriginally posted on October 28, 2016; updated December 19, 2017

Documents Required for an Irish Student Visa Application

What's really great about studying in Ireland is that the government adheres to a National Framework of Qualifications or NFQ.  With NFQ education standards in place, you acquire a degree that would most likely be recognized in countries belonging to the EEA and beyond!

So, if you are planning to study in Ireland and you are required to have a visa, you must apply for a study visa first before you travel.

In addition, if you are a national of a country outside the European Economic Area or EEA, your course of study must also be listed on Ireland's Interim List of Eligible Programmes or ILEP.  The fees you pay to the academic provider are protected since courses listed on the ILEP have "learner protection for enrolled non-EAA students." 

As an English-speaking country in the Eurozone, Ireland Institutes of Technology or IoTs, private colleges and universities also offer English language courses to international students. If you have difficulty meeting the minimum English language requirement of your course, you mahy want to enrol in an English language course first.  Just ensure though that the course meets the following conditions:

  • The maximum class size of 15 including yourself;
  • The teaching staff for the English courses have the appropriate academic credentials to manage the class.


Financial Evidence

Ireland Naturalization and Immigration Service (or INIS) announced changes regarding evidence of finances for all Non EEA students on first registration:

  • If you are required to have a study visa, you may only present a bank statement covering a 6-month period immediately before your visa application;
  • Use the Education Bond Ireland facilities to confirm your finances.
  • You must enroll in and pay for your course before you apply for your visa.
    • If your tuition fee is less than €7,000, you must pay your tuition fee in full
    • Generally, if your tuition fee is more than €7,000, you may pay half of the tuition fee first. 

Check with your academic institution first and verify whether they accept split-tuition fee payments.

If you decide to use the Education Bond Ireland facilities, your funds will be released immediately once you arrive in Ireland and you provide a copy of your visa to the bank where your funds have been deposited.


Visa application and documentary requirements.

In addition to your course being full-time and listed in the ILEP, you also have to satisfy normal immigration controls.

  • You must apply online for your visa and use the correct online form.  Your application will be processed only when the form is completed and you have submitted the required documents.
    • If you wish to study in Ireland for less than 3 months you should apply for a 'C study visa'.
    • If your course lasts longer than 3 months, you should apply for a 'D study visa'.
  • Letter of acceptance from a recognized school/college/university in Ireland confirming that you have been accepted on a course of study.
  • Proof of English language assessment unless you intend to enrol in an English language course first;
  • Evidence that the fees for the course have been paid in accordance with standard protocol;
  • Evidence that you have enough funds (€7,000) to maintain yourself for the initial part of your stay without relying on casual employment;
  • Proof that you have paid the visa and service fees;
  • Transcript of records and other evidence of your academic ability to enrol and complet your course;
  • Evidence that you have private medical insurance;
  • An explanation of any gaps in your educational history;
  • Evidence that you have prepared accommodation in Ireland;
  • Confirmation that you intend to return to your country of permanent residence when you leave Ireland;
  • Original passport valid for at least 6 months after the intended date of departure from Ireland following visits;
  • All previous passports;
  • Air ticket reservation.

Remember, in case your application is successful, it does not mean that family members can join or visit you while you are studying.

Authors & Contributors

Jennifer Aranda

Jennifer Aranda

Jennifer S. Aranda is the COO of IVC Immigrant Visa Center, Inc.

Take the first step toward a career abroad. Sign up for a FREE program and school match!

Let us help you get started on your overseas career now.


ICEF logoPIER logoANZCHAM logoBritish Council logo