(+632) 400 2838 / +63917 529 8472
Mon-Fri: 9 AM - 5 PM

News and Updates

The latest immigration and visa news for the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and select European countries - straight from the leading immigrant advocates in the Philippines.

This is a dated article.

This article is dated, and may no longer be accurate at this time due to changes in immigration laws, programs, or procedures. Please contact us or check out our list of articles for updated information.

Australia's Permanent, Provisional and Temporary Visas, June 2018

Still wondering what type of Australian visa you may be qualified for? Worry not. We have compiled the subclasses for you.

Crispin ArandaOriginally posted on June 1, 2018; updated June 1, 2018

Australia's Permanent, Provisional and Temporary Visas, June 2018

Permanent Resident Visas

Applicant-Skilled Workers in the various permanent visa subclasses (below) require that

  • Applicant’s occupation be on the specific list of current and eligible occupations
  • Suitable or positive assessment from the designated assessing authority be issued for applicant’s nominated occupation
  • English proficiency (e.g., IELTS score of 7.0 in all components) sufficient to get 10 points;
  • Age of applicant must be under 45  and
  • Invitation be issued to apply for permanent residency after submitting an Expression of Interest (EOI) through SkillSelect. There is no cost to submit an EOI.
  • Health and character requirements be met and complied with.

A permanent resident visa allows the invited applicant to:

  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • travel to and from Australia for five years
  • apply for Australin citizenship if PR has lived in Australia for the last four years including the last 12 months as PR


Permanent residence visa that allows skilled workers to work in Australia under one of three streams:

  • the Temporary Residence Transition stream
  • the Direct Entry stream
  • the Labour Agreement stream.

SC 186 Eligibility – applicant must:

  • be nominated by an approved Australian employer
  • be under 45 years of age
  • have the skills, qualifications and English language requirements
  • meet the other requirements of one of the streams of this visa.

SKILLED INDEPENDENT VISA (SUBCLASS 189) – Points-tested stream – applicant may be in or outside Australia when applying.  Same eligibility requirements with PR subclass applicants. Occupation must be on the current, eligible list of occupations published in March 2018.

SKILLED NOMINATED VISA (SUBCLASS 190) – must be nominated by any of the eight (8) States/Territories of Australia.  Some of the States or Territories have updated their nomination program. Check the latest (as of June 1, 2018) below.

TRAINING VISA (SUBCLASS 407)- available for applicants who approved sponsors to participate in workplace-based occupational training activities or classroom-based professional development activities.

Other requirerments:  Subclass 407 applicants must be:

  • identified in an approved nomination by an Australian organisation (other than a Commonwealth agency)
  • invited (if the sponsor is a Commonwealth agency)
  • meet the requirements of the visa
  • have functional English language skills, to do the training and meet occupational health and safety standards
  • have a genuine intention to stay temporarily in Australia
  • have adequate financial support for yourself and accompanying family members while in Australia
  • have adequate arrangements for health insurance while in Australia
  • meet health and character requirements
  • are at least 18 years of age (except in limited circumstances).


For International students under 50 years of age who have recently graduated from an Australian educational institution. Students are only able to access the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) once as a primary applicant. Must be in Australia when applying for this visa ane when application is decided. 

There are two streams: (1) Graduate Work stream and  (2) Post-Study Work stream.  The Australian qualification must either: relate to an occupation on the skilled occupation list (Graduate Work stream) or be a higher education degree (Post-Study Work stream)

SKILLED REGIONAL (PROVISIONAL) VISA (SUBCLASS 489) - Family nominated - applicant must

  • hold a subclass 475, 487, 495 or 496 visa (Extended Stay pathway)
  • be nominated by a state or territory government agency or be sponsored by an eligible relative who lives in a designated area (Invited pathway)
  • be invited to apply (Invited pathway)
  • have a relevant occupation
  • have a suitable skills assessment for the occupation
  • meet the points test pass mark of 60 points
  • be under 45 years of age at time of invitation
  • have Competent English

Designated areas of Australia

Australian Capital Territory

Everywhere in the territory

All postcodes

New South Wales

Everywhere except Sydney, Newcastle, and Wollongong

2311 to 2312, 2328 to 2333, 2336 to 2490, 2535 to 2551, 2575 to 2739, 2787 to 2898

Northern Territory

Everywhere in the territory

All postcodes


Everywhere except the greater Brisbane area

4019 to 4028, 4037 to 4050, 4079 to 4100, 4114, 4118, 4124 to 4150, 4158 to 4168, 4180 to 4899

South Australia

Everywhere in the state

All postcodes


Everywhere in the state

All postcodes


Everywhere in the state

All postcodes

Western Australia

Everywhere in the state

All postcodes


SKILLED REGIONAL (PROVISIONAL) VISA  (Subclass 489) - State or Territory nominated

This visa allows skilled workers to live and work in regional or low-population growth metropolitan areas of Australia for up to four years.

There are three pathways to the visa:

  1. Extended stay pathway - for applicants who currently hold one of the following provisional visas and complied with all visa conditions for at least two years before applying for this visa:  (a) Skilled—Regional Sponsored visa (subclass 475; (b) Skilled—Regional Sponsored visa (subclass 487); (c) Skilled—Independent Regional visa (subclass 495 (d) Skilled—Designated Area Sponsored Provisional visa (subclass 496)
  2. . Invited pathway – invited to apply for this visa if sponsored by a relative, State or Territory. Sponsor can be your or your partner’s parent or step-parent; child or step child; brother or sister (including adoptive or step brother or sister); aunt or uncle (including adoptive or step aunt or uncle); niece or nephew (including adoptive niece or nephew); grandchild or first cousin
  3. Subsequent entry pathway- for applicants who are a member of the family unit of someone who already holds a Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) or a subclass 475, 487, 495 or 496 visa.


The TSS visa “enables employers to address labour shortages by bringing in genuinely skilled workers where they cannot source an appropriately skilled Australian. It facilitates targeted use of overseas workers to address temporary skill shortages, while ensuring that Australian workers get priority.

TSS visa holders can work in Australia in their nominated occupation for their approved sponsor under one of three streams:

  1. the Short-Term stream
  2. the Medium-Term stream
  3. the Labour Agreement stream.

Length of stay - One to four years – depending on applicant’s nominated occupation, the visa stream and circumstances. Cost - From AUD 1,150

Short-Term Stream for overseas workers sponsored by employer on a temporary basis only in occupations listed on the Short-term Skilled Occupation list (STSOL) for a TSS visa  TSS Short Stream visas can be used to fill positions for a maximum of:two years or four years if an International Trade Obligation (ITO) applies.

Medium-Term Stream – for overseas workers sponsored by employer to work for periods of up to four years in occupations listed on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) or the Regional Occupation List (ROL).

Labour Agreement Stream – the sponsoring Australian employer for the overseas worker must have an existing labour agreement with the Department of Home Affairs.


PROCESSING TIMES range from 6 to 10 months, depending on the Subclass: visa fee is from AUD $3.670.

Closed subclass categories may apply for Subclass 489

  • Subclass 475 and 487 Regional Sponsored visa. However, 475 (previously nominated by State/Territory or qualified relative, and 487 (former international students) visa holders.
  • Subclass 495 – Independent regional (provisional)
  • Subclass 496 – Designated area sponsored visa, sponsored by relative in designated area.


A SkillSelect applicant may select a specific State or Territory government to be considered for nomination.  The selected State or Territory then decide to nominate from among the EOI applicants. Each State or Territory has its own Migration Plan and list of eligible occupations.  It is best to check which State or Territory has your occupation prior to completing your EOI.

  1. Australian Capital Territory (ACT) – ACT’s skilled nomination is currently closed to overseas applicants since 23 August 2017. Overseas applicants with close family ties or genuine job offer may apply. Same with those living in Canberra.
  2. New South Wales – 2017-2018 list of eligible occupations available. Both Subclass 190 and 489 (Skilled Regional) are available.
  3. Northern Territory – not nominating at this time. Instead, employers can select potential skilled and semi-skilled workers to sponsor through the Northern Territory Designated Area Migration Agreement
  4. Queensland – new list of eligible occupations to be published July 2018
  5. South Australia – has two list of occupations for nomination: State Nominated with 141 occupations and a Supplementary Skilled List with 329 occupations.
  6. Tasmania – Uses the DHA current list of eligible occupations. Has three Categories for those already in Tasmania: Category 1 International student; Category 2 currently working; Category 3 Overseas applicant with a job offer or those with Eligible relatives in Tasmania: parent, child, sibling, aunt, uncle, first cousin, or grandparent
  7. Victoria – two lists: one for overseas applicants meeting minimum requirements and international graduates. In addition, Victoria has the Streamlined, fast-tracked visa nomination pathway for international PhD graduates and current or recent Temporary Worked (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) holders.
  8. Western Australia – has a short list of 2017 Western Australia Migration Occupations List (WASMOL) mostly healthcare professionals. Qualified applicants may apply under Subclass 190 or Subclass 489.


Authors & Contributors

Crispin Aranda

Crispin Aranda

Crispin R. Aranda is an established International Visa Conselor and Immigrant Advocate. He is the president of IVC and is in several migration radio programs.

Got a migration question? Let us know - we're here to help

Because you deserve to know, get basic FREE advice first


ICEF logoPIER logoANZCHAM logoBritish Council logo