+63917 529 8472
Tue-Sat: 8 AM - 5 PM

News and Updates

The latest immigration and visa news for the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and select European countries - straight from the leading immigrant advocates in the Philippines.

Australian Migration Options for International Students

You may have options once you have completed your Australian study program to work or apply for permanent residency in Australia.

Jennifer ArandaOriginally posted on January 4, 2018; updated January 3, 2018

Australian Migration Options for International Students

What happens after you graduate from your Australian study program?

Once you have completed your course, you need to either leave Australia before your visa expires, or lodge a new visa application if applicable.  Do you return home to develop your career in your home country using the knowledge you have learned?  Or do you stay in Australia to work or apply for permanent residence?

We recommend you check your student visa conditions first.  If you have to return to your home country, then you will have to leave Australia within the specified period.

If you do not have to leave though and wish to stay on, you may want to explore post-study work arrangements in the country.  And remember, if your visa expires while you are studying, you must contact the immigration office immediately.  You may face a bar of up to three years if your visa has expired for more than 28 days and you are still in Australia!

Return to the post Important Information about Australia Student Visa (Subclass 500).

If your visa has an attached visa condition that states you are not eligible to stay further in Australia, you can not apply to extend your stay in Australia.  Otherwise, you might be able to extend your stay in Australia for:

  • Further study under the Post-Study Work Stream;
  • Work under the Graduate Work Stream;
  • Undergo additional training;
  • Permanent Residence Migration under Skilled Regional Residence Subclass 887 Visa 

In general, you can only hold one visa at a time. A new visa (other than a bridging visa) will generally replace any other visa that you hold and come into effect as soon as it is granted. You should contact the immigration office though before lodging a visa application if you have questions about how a new visa would affect your existing visa.

Authors & Contributors

Jennifer Aranda

Jennifer Aranda

Jennifer S. Aranda is the COO of IVC Immigrant Visa Center, Inc.

Be proactive about your career plans

Get the information you need before deciding to study overseas


ICEF logoPIER logoANZCHAM logoBritish Council logo