+63917 529 8472
Tue-Sat: 8 AM - 5 PM

News and Updates

The latest immigration and visa news for the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and select European countries - straight from the leading immigrant advocates in the Philippines.

This is a dated article.

This article is dated, and may no longer be accurate at this time due to changes in immigration laws, programs, or procedures. Please contact us or check out our list of articles for updated information.

Au Pair Visas to UK - 2018

Which countries may participate in the Au Pair placement in the UK?

Crispin ArandaOriginally posted on June 9, 2018; updated June 9, 2018

Au Pair Visas to UK - 2018

Au pairs

Au pairs usually live with the family they work for and are unlikely to be classed as a worker or an employee. To be considered for Au Pair placement – not worker or employee - the applicant must be an EU ciltizen or have entered the UK on a Youth Mobility visa or student visa.  Au pairs aren’t entitled to the National Minimum Wage or paid holidays.

They’re treated as a member of the family they live with and get ‘pocket money’ instead - usually about £70 to £85 a week.

Au pairs may have to pay Income Tax and National Insurance, depending on how much pocket money they get.

Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa applies to those

  • Who want to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years
  • Are aged 18 to 30
  • Have £1,890 in savings
  • Have certain types of British Nationality or are from certain countries
  • meet the other eligibility requirements

Youth Mobility scheme applicants must be sponsored if you’re from Hong Kong or the Republic of Korea.

Au Pair applicants may be sponsored or admitted if they are from any of the following countries:

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • Monaco
  • New Zealand
  • Hong Kong
  • Republic of Korea
  • Taiwan

Other instanceds when an An au pair is not classed as a worker or an employee

  • they’re in the UK on a cultural exchange programme
  • they’ve got a signed letter of invitation from the host family that includes details of their stay, for example accommodation, living conditions, approximate working hours, free time, pocket money
  • they learn about British culture from the host family and share their own culture with them
  • they have their own private room in the house, provided free of charge
  • they eat their main meals with the host family, free of charge
  • they help with light housework and childcare for around 30 hours a week, including a couple of evenings babysitting

What an Au Pair is entitled to:

  • they get reasonable pocket money
  • they can attend English language classes at a local college in their spare time
  • they’re allowed time to study and can practise their English with the host family
  • they sometimes go on holiday with the host family and help look after the children
  • they can travel home to see their family during the year

Authors & Contributors

Crispin Aranda

Crispin Aranda

Crispin R. Aranda is an established International Visa Conselor and Immigrant Advocate. He is the president of IVC and is in several migration radio programs.

Get the latest visa & migration news from IVC - FREE!

Become your own migration expert and join successful immigrants overseas!


ICEF logoPIER logoANZCHAM logoBritish Council logo