Connect with us

An Overview of CRICOS and VET Registration

Like all responsible hosts, the government of Australia does its best to ensure that international students enjoy a good quality of education.  Australian universities and colleges that accept international students therefore try to meet the requirements as explained in the National Code of Practice.  

AustraliaStudent ResourceStudent Visa
Share this article
An Overview of CRICOS and VET Registration
Written by Jennifer Aranda.
Updated December 31, 2017 | Australia

Ensuring the continuing confidence that students, employers and other stakeholders of the industry have in Australia's training sector is the responsibility of The Australian Skills Quality Authority or ASQA.  As an Australian government agency, ASQA.  

In its role as sentinel, ASQA checks on the business operations of education providers, and sees to it that courses offered adhere to the standards of the Australian Qualifications Framework.  ASQA offers two types of registrationi to education providers.

Vocational Education Training Registration.

If you are looking into working after your secondary education or are taking an initial step in your tertiary education in Australia, you may want to consider getting an Australian Vocational Education and Training or VET qualification first.  VET courses are designed to help you build specific job-related and technical skills.  As such, VET qualifications range from Certificate II to Advanced Diploma qualifications in the trade, office work, retail, hospitality, and technolgy industries.

VET qualifications are provided by both private and government-funded institutions.  The latter are called Technical and Further Education or TAFE institutions.

ASQA's focus in VET registration is to ensure that Registered Training Organizsations, or RTOs,  consistently follows the standards for RTOs for high quality training and assessment across the VET system of Australia. 

Return to the post Important Information about Australia Student Visa (Subclass 500).

CRICOS Registration.

The Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students certainly has a catchy acronym: CRICOS is the 

Beyond the memorable acronym, CRICOS registration is important for international students.  In fact, you can be assured that you will be receiving the quality of education you and your family expect when you enroll in a CRICOS registered program because:

  • CRICOS is managed by the Australian Government Department of Education and not a private entity;
  • The courses are publicly available;
  • The programs are searchable using either the course or provider name/number.

Academic institutions with courses listed in the CRICOS meet the minimum standards especially with regard to good practice procedures to protect your interests should you decide to study in Australia.  In fact, only education institutions with CRICOS registration are allowed to recruit, enrol and teach overseas students studying in Australia on student visas.

About the Author

Jennifer Aranda

Jennifer Aranda

Jennifer S. Aranda is the COO of IVC Immigrant Visa Center, Inc.

Got a question? Let us know - we're here to help.

Send us your migration concern

Other countries

Email and phone
Phone only
Social Media - please specify website (ex: Facebook, Google Plus, etc.) and account name

We need to make sure that you're human. What is 3 plus 5?

ICEF logoPIER logoANZCHAM logoBritish Council logo