7 Steps to Get a Student Visa to Canada and Work Permit for your Partner of Spouse

Canada has increasingly been the destination of choice for international students especially after the UK has officially announced it will drastically reduce if not eliminate international student applications from non-EU countries and the United States has revised its admission rules for nonimmigrants, including students, especially those from Muslim dominated countries.

On the other hand, Canada has launched programs to attract international students and institute rules to make them stay permanently.

But first you must get to Canada on a study permit or student visa. Here are the seven steps required.

  1.  Select an educational institution that is designated and authorized to accept international students and eligible to issue post-graduate work permits.
  2. Be sure you have selected a course or academic program that is consistent with your career plans.
  3. Have a brief, but concise study plan to accompany your student visa application explaining the reason for the course selection.
  4. Include the Letter of Acceptance from the educational institution you were admitted to with evidence of tuition fees paid and the specific date you have to be in Canada.
  5. Ensure that you can provide evidence of funds available to you for the duration of the course that you have selected.
  6. If you have a partner or spouse, submit evidence of the relationship – either a marriage certificate or proof of common law relationship to accompany the partner or spouse’s work permit application.
  7. Have a valid IELTS or English proficiency exam results with your application.

Additional notes.  Canada allows international students to work 20 hours a week while studying and work full time during school breaks. In the meantime, the spouse or partner can work full time for the duration of the spouse or partner’s student visa period.

Get the latest visa & migration news from IVC - FREE!

Become your own migration expert and join successful immigrants overseas!

About the Author

Crispin Aranda

Crispin Aranda

Crispin R. Aranda is an established International Visa Conselor and Immigrant Advocate. He is the president of IVC and is in several migration radio programs.

IVC and IVC staff are proud members or affiliates of

ICCRC logoIBP logoICEF logoPIER logo
MARA logoCANCHAM logoANZCHAM logoBritish Council logo