A regulation being implemented by the Department of Homeland Security requires all beginning students to apply for admission to the United States 30 days or less in advance of the start of your studies as shown on the Form I-20.  If you apply earlier than this day, the U.S. Embassy may hold your application until such time it is able to issue your student or exchange visitor visa. 

In general though, your student visa can be issued up to 120 days in advance of your program start date. You will not, however, be admitted to  the United States in F-1 or M-1 status earlier than 30 days before your start date.

As a continuing student however, you may enter the United States at any time before your classes start.  You may also renew your student visa any time provided:

If you complete your course of studies and any authorized practical training (as shown on your form I-20), you may be allowed to remain in the United States for some additional time if you choose NOT to take Optional Practical Training (or OPT). 

If you are an academic student, holding an F-1 U.S. student visa, you can stay an additional 60 days to prepare for your departure or to transfer to another school.

If you are a vocational student with an M-1 U.S. student visa, you will be allowed an additional 30 days as long as you maintained a full course of study and maintained status.

Be careful with all those dates!

Get the latest insight on migration laws and visa application protocol

FREE information as part of our immigrant advocacy platform.

About the Author

Jennifer Aranda

Jennifer Aranda

Jennifer S. Aranda is the COO of IVC Immigrant Visa Center, Inc.

IVC and IVC staff are proud members or affiliates of

ICCRC logoIBP logoICEF logoPIER logo
MARA logoCANCHAM logoANZCHAM logoBritish Council logo