NZ Immigration Minister on New Student Visa Policy

After consultation with education sector stakeholders – New Zealand Immigration Minister Jonathan Coleman announced June 28, 2011 a package of policy changes for international students.

Migration NewsArchived
Share this article
NZ Immigration Minister on New Student Visa Policy
Written by Crispin Aranda.
Posted on June 29, 2011

 Among the changes likely to be welcomed by Filipino student visa applicants is the extension of the ability of students taking one-year academic courses to transition to work visas.  

Dr. Coleman reiterated the fact that  ‘’(e)xport education supports about 32,000 jobs and providers received nearly $600 million in fees last year from over 90,000 students – it’s a significant earner for New Zealand so these changes are about ensuring we maintain the sector’s reputation and attract genuine students.’’

Following that announcement, sector feedback was received regarding the new requirement for students to study a two-year course before they can qualify for Study to Work visas (the Graduate Job Search and Graduate Work Experience visas).  The following is an excerpt of the Minister's announcement.

 In order to ensure that this requirement is well targeted, a further round of targeted sector consultation was undertaken. The submissions received have now been considered and final decisions made. These decisions are to:

  • delay the implementation of this requirement until 2 April 2012 (students who commence their course before this date will not be affected)
  • enable qualifying one academic year courses to include:
    • all postgraduate qualifications, or 
    • credit-transferred bachelors’ degrees, or
    • all one year level 7 courses.
  • and also enable ‘one year + one year’ course combinations to meet the two-year study requirement, so long as:
  • both courses qualify for Skilled Migrant Category points, and
  • the second course is at a higher level than the first course (for example, a level 5 diploma followed by a level 6 diploma), and
  • both courses are of at least one academic year’s duration (eight months full time study).

Immigrant Visa Center has recognized education provider/partner schools in New Zealand.  If you wish to know more about getting legal Student to Work Visas and later Residency fill out our Free online assessment form or call our office at +632-634-8717.

Got a question? Let us know - we're here to help.

About the Author

Crispin Aranda

Crispin Aranda

Crispin R. Aranda is an established International Visa Conselor and Immigrant Advocate. He is the president of IVC and is in several migration radio programs.

Send us your migration concern

Other countries

Email and phone
Phone only
Social Media - please specify website (ex: Facebook, Google Plus, etc.) and account name

We need to make sure that you're human. What is 3 plus 5?

ICEF logoPIER logoANZCHAM logoBritish Council logo