Sons and daughters of U.S citizen-veterans may now be able to join their petitioner-parent in a year or less under the parole policy recently issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

These sons and daughters are mostly in the F1 (over 21, unmarried) or F3 (married children) category.

Even better – the children below 21 of visa beneficiaries are also eligible and may travel with the principal F1 or F3 applicant.

The parole policy is part of President Barack Obama’s proactive immigration policy, which includes the Deferred Action for Children Arrivals and the Deferred Action for Parent Accountability (DACA and DAPA respectively) allowing individuals who were brought into the U.S. when they were minors and have since been unlawfully present.

The rule was published on May 9, 2016 and shall be in effect starting June 8, 2016.  However, it is likely that visas would be issued in July of that year because each application will be decided on a discretionary, case-by-case basis.

10 to 15 year wait without Parole Policy

Currently, the unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens (F1 category) would still have to wait for 16 years before immigrant visas could be available – if they would have to go the regular visa processing.

Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens would have to wait longer – by as much as 25 to 26 years – based on the June 2016 priority dates in the recently issued Visa Bulletin by the State Department -

For F1 and F3 beneficiaries considered qualified under the USCIS Parole Policy, they may be able to join their petitioner-parent in a year or less.

Who Are Eligible

To apply and qualify for advance parole, the applicant must:   

If Petitioner Parent/Filipino Veteran is Deceased

In cases where the petitioning relative is deceased, eligible applicants may also apply for advance parole on their behalf after their application for humanitarian reinstatement is approved.

Currently, reinstatement requests require that the applicant must have a qualified relative who will suffer extreme hardship if the application for revalidation is not granted.

The request for Advance Parole requires the filing of the I-131 Travel Document and affidavit of support forms.

Got a migration question? Let us know - we're here to help

Because you deserve to know, get basic FREE advice first

About the Author

Crispin Aranda

Crispin Aranda

Crispin R. Aranda is an established International Visa Conselor and Immigrant Advocate. He is the president of IVC and is in several migration radio programs.

IVC and IVC staff are proud members or affiliates of

ICCRC logoIBP logoICEF logoPIER logo
MARA logoCANCHAM logoANZCHAM logoBritish Council logo