(+632) 400 2838 / +63917 529 8472
Mon-Fri: 9 AM - 5 PM

News and Updates

The latest immigration and visa news for the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and select European countries - straight from the leading immigrant advocates in the Philippines.

This is an archived article.

This article has been archived, and may no longer be accurate or up-to-date. Please feel free to contact us or check out our list of articles for updated information.

Degree of Certainty - How to Work and Migrate With Your Credentials

For professionals and skilled workers intending to work or migrate to Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK or the United States, the intended country of destination must first determine if their academic credentials are the equivalent of the local counterpart.

Crispin ArandaSeptember 6, 2012

Degree of Certainty - How to Work and Migrate With Your Credentials

Canada and New Zealand recently updated the way their assess foreign education credentials.

On 28 March 2012, Jason Kenney, the Canadian Minister of Citizenship, Immigration, and Multiculturalism, announced a “pre-arrival assessment” which “would let applicants know how their education credentials compare to Canadian credentials and it will give immigrants a sense of how Canadian employers are likely to value their education”.

RNs for example must submit their academic transcripts and diploma to the specific Nursing regulatory authority as part of their registration process and subsequent practice of their profession.  In New Zealand, the Nursing Council requires a 6-8 week program to upgrade a Filipino RN’s competency to the level of a New Zealand counterpart.  Assessment of an applicant’s qualifications or academic credentials is part f this process.

The change in the way Canada recognizes foreign credentials “ have been announced in conjunction with the release of the 2011 Government of Canada Prograss Report on Foreign Credential Recognition, Strengthening Canada’s Economy, which outlines new efforts by the Canadian Government to better address educational issues in immigration.”

Across the globe, and just before Easter of 2012, New Zealand updated the list of Philippine colleges and universities that NZ recognizes as a country equivalent.  If an applicant’s qualification is considered not the equivalent, the applicant must submit the credentials to New Zealand Qualification Authority for assessment.  However, for graduates of recognized schools, an NZQA assessment is not necessary, provided you obtained your diploma within a specific year.

 For details on the list of recognized schools in New Zealand, call the Immigrant Visa Center at (02) 634-8717) or send your complete, updated resume to immigrants@visacenter.org for a Free, pre-migration assessment.

Authors & Contributors

Crispin Aranda

Crispin Aranda

Crispin R. Aranda is an established International Visa Conselor and Immigrant Advocate. He is the president of IVC and is in several migration radio programs.

Got a question? Let us know - we're here to help.


ICEF logoPIER logoANZCHAM logoBritish Council logo