Written by Jennifer Aranda
Posted on August 20, 2015 |
Are you a physician, medical technologist, nurse, public health practitioner? This is perfect for you: a New Zealand study program for healthcare professionals at Waiariki Institute of Technology.
This is an exciting, ever-developing field. Infection prevention and control in healthcare is a cross-sectional, multidisciplinary concern. Higher level infection prevention and control education is needed by those dealing with new and re-emerging diseases like Influenza, SARS, Norovirus and Tuberculosis. There now exists a greater reliance on specialist infection prevention and control knowledge especially in outbreak management, surveillance of disease and infection prevention and control program management.
This qualification is ideal for:
· Internationally Educated Physicians
· Registered Nurses
· Public health practitioners
· Allied health professionals
These qualifications give you the knowledge to develop and implement the infection prevention and control.
Graduates will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the principles of developing and implementing culturally appropriate infection prevention and control practices and procedures, including the implications of the Treaty of Waitangi for health care providers and be able to:
· Understand the chain of infection and its physiological basis;
· Demonstrate an understanding of the principles of epidemiology and epidemiological research;
· Identify best practice strategies for managing and containing infectious diseases in health, disability and aged care facilities; and
· Analyze the requirements within hospital/long term care environments with relation to disinfection and sterilization.
Greater career opportunities for graduates exist for:
· Infection prevention and control clinicians
· Rest home/aged-care clinical Managers
· Registered nurses in aged-care settings, acute clinical settings, and correctional facilities (Registration with the New Zealand Nursing Council is required)
· One-year FREE bus passes for the student
· On-campus Wi-Fi
· Assistance with resume and interviewing skills for those looking for part-time jobs and for new graduates
|Location||Rotorua (Mokoia) on North Island|
|Intakes||February, July, November|
|English Language proficiency||Academic IELTS, 6.0 with no band less than 5.5|
|Tuition||NZ$19,500 To be paid once visa is released UNLESS instructed otherwise by the NZL Embassy|
· Microbiology and Responses to Infection
· Healthcare Epidemiology
· Fundamentals of Infection Prevention and Control Practice
· Managing the Scope of Infection Prevention and Control
· Healthcare Infection Risk Management
· Applied Research
Got a question? Let us know - we're here to help.
Here are other articles you might be interested in...