Connect with us

Study Abroad: Learn and Earn

Working as a Student yields priceless benefits including opportunity to become a permanent resident and permanent employment.

AustraliaCanadaDenmarkFranceGermanyIrelandNew ZealandNorway SpainSwedenUnited KingdomUnited States of AmericaMigration NewsArchived
Share this article
Study Abroad: Learn and Earn
Posted on April 29, 2015 | AustraliaCanadaDenmarkFranceGermanyIrelandNew ZealandNorway SpainSwedenUnited KingdomUnited States of America

Australia allows 40 hours work each fortnight while studying. Depending on the assessment level and academic program, you can work full-time,  bring family dependents (spouse or partner could work as well). Each country - in all education level or sectors - is assigned an assessment level based on the calculated immigration risk posed by students from that country studying in a specific education sector. See the assessment levels, below.

Passport heldSubclass
Higher Education
Postgraduate Research
Non Award
Foreign Affairs or Defence

The most common sectors (and Assessment level) that Filipino students enroll in are in Subclass 572 (Vocational  Education and Training) Level 3, Subclass 573 for Higher Education (Level 2) and Subclass 574, Postgraduate research (Level 1).  The higher the Level, the higher the risk. The higher the risk, the higher the chance of visa refusal. Watch this video by EduCo Education Group on Filipino Students in Sydney and Melbourne.

Studying in Canada Update.  Studies in Canada Offers Opportunity for a Shorter Route to Permanent Employment and Residency A one or two year diploma course provides a viable entry-level to permanent employment and residency. The new rules  on studying in Canada (1) limits the issuance of study permits to applicants who will be studying at a designated learning institution, including institutions that are designated by provinces and territories on the basis of meeting minimum standards;  (2) require students to actively pursue their studies while in Canada; and (3) allow full-time international students enrolled at designated institutions in certain programs to work part time off campus and full time during scheduled school breaks without a work permit.  Watch this video for Filipino Students in Vancouver, British Columbia

New Zealand Students are always ahead by 5-6 hours. And an NZ qualification is recognized in Australia as well.  For those planning to attend for more than two weeks or are paying fees, you must attend a school that is a signatory to the Ministry of Education's Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students. Generally, foreign students can stay in NZ for a maximum of 4 years. If you are studying with an education provider that Immigration New Zealand (INZ) has a Memorandum of Understanding with, you have the opportunity to apply for a Length of Course visa. Watch this video on Filipino Students in Auckland, New Zealand

UK offers a gateway to Europe. While you have to work for a longer period to qualify for residency, working and residing anywhere in Europe after program completion and while employed are attractive opportunities to consider.

U.S. hosts the most number of international students although generally academic students are not allowed to work during the first year of studies. Student Authorization to Work is filed with Form I-765 and goes through the designated school official. Where to Start. Ensure the program you intend to pursue is with a school authorized to accept international students.  Search for SEVIS-certified school. The transition to working visa needs planning and must be coordinated with an Employment-Based immigrant petition.

European universities offer diverse learning experiences. Check out the courses and programs in any member of the European Union. Watch this video on why Ireland proves to be a highly-prized destination for foreign students - Ireland- Gateway to Europe. High academic standards at reasonable costs has been the top priority of Europe's education sector to be globally competitive.

Got a question? Let us know - we're here to help.

Send us your migration concern

Other countries

Email and phone
Phone only
Social Media - please specify website (ex: Facebook, Google Plus, etc.) and account name

We need to make sure that you're human. What is 7 plus 3?

ICEF logoPIER logoANZCHAM logoBritish Council logo