Changes still in effect for International Student Programs

To reduce the potential for fraud or misuse of the program while protecting Canada’s international reputation for high-quality education and improving services to genuine students the rules set on June 1, 2014 will continue to:

Read the full text of the regulations -

Studying while in Canada

As of June 1, 2014, all study permit holders in Canada will need to actively pursue studies. This means that:

Your educational institution will report to CIC on your continued enrolment and academic status. You may also be asked by an immigration officer to provide evidence of your continued enrolment and academic status.

If you are no longer a student you may still stay in Canada as a visitor.

Note: Under the new rules, your study permit will become invalid 90 days after you have completed your study program. If you switch to a shorter-term program or finish your studies early, your study permit will expire 90 days after your study program has been completed. Your program is considered complete when you receive written notification of program completion (for example, a transcript or an official letter) from your institution or once you obtain your degree, diploma or certificate. This does not apply to you if your study permit application was received before June 1, 2014, or if you were issued a study permit before June 1, 2014.

You may still stay - and work - in Canada after graduation. Be sure the school you enroll in is authorized to issue a Post-graduation Work Permit. 

Attending a designated learning institution

To apply for a study permit on or after June 1, 2014, you will need to have a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution.

Each province and territory in Canada is responsible for designating schools at the post-secondary level that may enrol international students on or after June 1.

A list of designated learning institutions at the post-secondary level will be available on the CIC website by June 1, 2014.

If your study permit application is received on or after June 1 and your letter of acceptance is from an institution that is not designated for international students, your application will be refused.

If your application for a study permit is received before June 1, 2014, and your letter of acceptance is from an institution that is not designated for international students:

If you were issued a study permit before June 1 and are studying at an institution that is not designated for international students:

If the institution you are studying at loses its status as a designated learning institution after you have already been issued a study permit:

Changing institutions and programs; working while studying and co-op or internship

 Applying for a study permit from within Canada

If you are in Canada as a visitor and wish to apply for a study permit to attend a designated learning institution, you may be able to do so from within Canada. As of June 1, 2014, certain foreign nationals may apply for and receive a study permit from within Canada. These include:

Take the first step toward a career abroad. Sign up for a FREE program and school match!

Let us help you get started on your overseas career now.

About the Author

Crispin Aranda

Crispin Aranda

Crispin R. Aranda is an established International Visa Conselor and Immigrant Advocate. He is the president of IVC and is in several migration radio programs.

IVC and IVC staff are proud members or affiliates of

ICCRC logoIBP logoICEF logoPIER logo
MARA logoCANCHAM logoANZCHAM logoBritish Council logo