Unlike foreign or international students in Australia or New Zealand, Canada offers work rights to students for both on or off campus.

On campus work allows students to work in the institutions where they are currently enrolled in full time academic studies without a work permit.  The full-time studies must be in a public post-secondary institution (college or university) in Quebec; a private post-secondary institution in Quebec that operates under the same rules a public institutions, receiving at least 50% of its financing for overall operations from government grant; and Canadian private institutions authorized by provincial laws to confer degrees.

Work off campus

The Off-Campus Work Permit Program allows certain foreign students to work off campus while completing their studies. Students must be enrolled full time in an academic program at a participating publicly funded post-secondary educational institution or in an approved program at an eligible privately funded institution.

Unlike on campus employment, students intending to work off campus must apply for a work permit; must now work until the work permit is issued and work is for 20 hours a week while school is in session.  Students may work full time off-campus during scheduled school breaks – winter, spring and summer.

Work as a co–op student or intern

Some academic programs in Canada includes work placement as part of the curriculum.  This type of programs are called co-op or internship programs.  The student must apply for a work permit as well as a study permit.

To be eligible for a work permit in a co-op or internship program, the student

Got a question? Let us know - we're here to help.

IVC and IVC staff are proud members or affiliates of

ICCRC logoIBP logoICEF logoPIER logo
MARA logoCANCHAM logoANZCHAM logoBritish Council logo