This is an archived article. CLICK HERE to read the latest post, "Work While Studying in the U.S."

Study and Work in the US

The U.S classifies student visas under the academic (F-1 category) or M for vocational students. Both categories may be eligible for employment authorization under certain conditions.

Like Canada, foreign students may work on-campus or off-campus.  Unlike Canada, off-campus work is allowed only where the student can show evidence of “severe economic hardship” after a student's enrollment in an academic program and after the student has been in F-1 status for at least one full academic year, or in emergent circumstances such a world event that impacts nonimmigrants, including those in the US in F or M status.

Practical Training

An F student may work in the United States by engaging in practical training during the academic program or after it ends. There are two types of practical training available for F-1 students: curricular practical training (CPT) and optional practical training (OPT).



Bonus 17-Month OPT STEM Extension

A student could get an additional 17 months of OPT under the following circumstances:

Confused about the best career pathway for you?

Allow us to help you plan your career overseas.

About the Author

Crispin Aranda

Crispin Aranda

Crispin R. Aranda is an established International Visa Conselor and Immigrant Advocate. He is the president of IVC and is in several migration radio programs.

IVC and IVC staff are proud members or affiliates of

ICCRC logoIBP logoICEF logoPIER logo
MARA logoCANCHAM logoANZCHAM logoBritish Council logo