Connect with us

Typhoon Relief from US Immigration

If you have a pending immigration petition or application and you or your family member have been affected by Yolanda, the US Citizenship and Immigration Service offers relief measures.

United States of AmericaMigration NewsArchived
Share this article
Typhoon Relief from US Immigration
Posted on November 19, 2013 | United States of America

USCIS Offers Immigration Relief Measures to Typhoon-Affected Filipinos

One of the silver lining in the otherwise dark clouds of disaster brought about by super-typhoon Yolanda (international name “Haiyan”) came as an announcement from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) that certain Filipino nationals here and abroad may be eligible for certain immigration relief measures (below) if requested.

  • Change or extension of nonimmigrant status for an individual currently in the United States, even when the request is filed after the authorized period of admission has expired.  The form to use is I-539. The date of authorized stay is stamped or written down on the I-94 Arrival Departure documents stapled to the person’s passport upon entry or admission. If the I-94 is lost, a request for replacement (on Form I-102 must be filed).
  • Extension of certain grants of parole made by USCIS – For example a request for humanitarian parole to facilitate entry into the US. 
  • Extension of certain grants of advance parole, and expedited processing of advance parole requests. The form is I-131 Request for a Travel Document. Individuals with pending immigration cases, such as adjustment of status may apply for advance parole.
  • Expedited adjudication and approval, where possible, of requests for off-campus employment authorization for F-1 students experiencing severe economic hardship.  Foreign students in the US are generally not allowed to work, unlike their student counterparts in Canada, New Zealand or Australia where international students are allowed to work 20 hours a week while in school and full-time employment when on vacation or off-school periods.
  • Expedited processing of immigrant petitions for immediate relatives of U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents (LPRs). The process does not include consular processing since issuance of visas is within the purview or mandate of the U.S. State Department, a separate department. Those in the US – applying for adjustment of status could benefit.
  • Expedited adjudication of employment authorization applications, where appropriate.  Form I-765 is use. Applicants include but are not limited to spouses, dependent children of nonimmigrant visa holders e.g., treaty investor, trader, student, intracompany transferee, B-1 visa holder (domestic helpers with employers in the US), refugees, fiancee visa holders. and
  • Assistance to LPRs stranded overseas without immigration or travel documents, such as Permanent Resident Cards (Green Cards). USCIS and the Department of State will coordinate on these matters when the LPR is stranded in a place that has no local USCIS office.  While not specifically mentioned, if you lost your green card during the typhoon, you may request for a travel documents or boarding letter to enable you to return to the US, or replacement of the green card could be facilitated.

Let us help you. If you'd like to know more or if you're interested in this program, then call us at +632.634.8717 (Metro Manila Office) or at +6349.502.8067 (Calamba City Office); or fill in our contact form to message us directly.

Got a question? Let us know - we're here to help.

Send us your migration concern

Other countries

Email and phone
Phone only
Social Media - please specify website (ex: Facebook, Google Plus, etc.) and account name

We need to make sure that you're human. What is nine minus four?

ICEF logoPIER logoANZCHAM logoBritish Council logo