Connect with us

Options for 130,000 Filipino nurses facing job loss due to 'Saudization'

Are you a Filipino RN caught between Saudization and little prospects of employment with similar income at home? There’s a silver lining in this situation – a blessing in disguise even.

AustraliaCanadaNew ZealandUnited KingdomUnited States of AmericaMigration NewsArchived
Share this article
Options for 130,000 Filipino nurses facing job loss due to 'Saudization'
Posted on November 4, 2013 | AustraliaCanadaNew ZealandUnited KingdomUnited States of America

The NGO, Migrante-Middle East reported that “there is an estimated 130,000 Filipino nurses in Saudi Arabia are expected to bear the brunt of the kingdom’s “Saudization” policy”. The Saudi Ministry of Health (MOH) intends to hire local nurses in all its medical facilities.

Migrante-Middle East (M-ME) regional coordinator John Leonard Monterona, added that the MOH issued a circular indicating that employment contracts with foreign nurses, including Filipinos who had completed 10 years of service, would be terminated to give way to newly graduated Saudi nurses regardless of whether the companies employing the nurses are compliant with the “nitaqat” (Saudization) or not.

Options for Filipino RNs in Saudi

1) Apply for registration with the nursing regulatory authority in the five countries with permanent migration programs: Australia, Canada, New Zealand, UK and the USA.
2) If you have a pending immigrant petition in the US (under the EB3 category) and your employer or agency has abandoned the petition, the Immigrant Visa Center could help reinstate and resume your immigrant visa petition.
3) Update their list of relatives and/or friends in the five (5) countries above and ask for referrals for potential employers especially in Canada. The RN’s experience and or licensure in Saudi or the Middle East should be a plus.
4) Check career and/or permanent residency pathways in the five countries above. In Canada for example, a 5-6 year experience could get the maximum points for experience (15 points) towards the required 67 points total.
5) Pursue a post-grad course (e.g., a 1 year diploma in Healthcare Management or Health Info Management course) and be eligible for permanent residency after course completion. As students, you can work 20 hours a week while in school and work full time during vacation. In addition, there are courses that are co-op, meaning work placement is part of the course. Best of all, since you would have access to employers while studying you are immediately eligible for permanent residency with job offer.

For a free assessment of your visa and migration options in any of the five countries above (Australia, Canada, NZ, UK and the USA) as well as reinstatement of your EB3 petition, send your resume to

Got a question? Let us know - we're here to help.

Send us your migration concern

Other countries

Email and phone
Phone only
Social Media - please specify website (ex: Facebook, Google Plus, etc.) and account name

We need to make sure that you're human. What is 3 plus 5?

ICEF logoPIER logoANZCHAM logoBritish Council logo