Connect with us

Visa Bulletin October 2013 and Two Years Earlier

How fast did visa categories move over the last three years? What can you do to facilitate or speed up processing?

Share this article
Visa Bulletin October 2013 and Two Years Earlier
Written by Crispin Aranda.
Posted on September 9, 2013

October 2013 Visa Bulletin

You get it here first, the current visa dates for October, and comparison with the two years immediately preceding 2012 and 2011 of the same month.

Will your visa be processed faster if you are always at the US Embassy?

How fast did the visa dates move for August and September this year?


F1 – August to October, 5 months

F2A – Retrogressed by a month. This category was current for August and September.

F2B – One year and 2 weeks

F3 – One month

F4 – Two months and 3 weeks.

Visa Movement since 2011

Over three (3) years, the movement of the Family and Employment-based categories are shown below for the same month (October)



Oct. 2013

Oct. 2012

Oct. 2011






























As we have posted in previous posts and predicted earlier, the F2A category (spouses and minor children of green card holders) is likely to retrogress.  After being current for two months (August and September) the backlog caught up again with this category, thus retrogressing by a month.  That is still good news.

The not so good news is that for petitions filed by green card holders for the spouses and unmarried, under 21 children, the USCIS Service Center shows that they are processing F2A petitions filed on Nov. 15, 2011.  Because of the news that the F2A was to have been (and did become) current, more green card holders presumably filed petitions, adding to the backlog.

The not so bad news is that this F2A category is further subdivided to those that are subject to numerical limits and those that are not.

The F2 Second Family Preference category has 114,000 visa allocations yearly worldwide. 75 percent (75%) of this number (85,650) is set aside for the spouses and minor children of green card holders (F2A) and are not subject to per country limitations.  The remaining 25% shall be issued in accordance with special rules for countries at ceiling.  Ceiling is the limit, i.e., the per-country limit is 26,913 for 2013 fiscal year.

Avoid Delay in Processing 

Your priority date will not change. However, your visa category would. And a change in your visa category will delay visa processing, especially if you do not inform the USCIS, National Visa Center and/or the consular post processing your visa application.

The key here is to know the factors that could affect the visa movements and become documentarily qualified even before the interview date. Even if you are at the US Embassy every day, your visa interview will not move faster. Your priority date is on queue meaning it has a specific number in line  You cannot jump ahead of the others unless there is a reason for it such as change in your category or the petitioner's status.  Abd you need to be documentarily qualified to be scheduled for the immigrant visa intervie.

A visa applicant is documentarily qualified if he or she has submitted the appropriate and complete documents establishing eligibility for the visa category being applied for and that the petitioner is financially able to support the visa applicant. If not, the petitioner needs to get a joint or co-sponsor, a US citizen or green card holder who is a household member or not.

Keep the National Visa Center and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services updated on your current mailing and residence address.  Otherwise if a notice of visa availability is sent to an old address and you were unable to respond, your visa could be cancelled, petition revoked.  Then you have to start again.

For more information or assistance with your petition you may call the Immigrant Visa Center at 02-634-8717.

About the Author

Crispin Aranda

Crispin Aranda

Crispin R. Aranda is an established International Visa Conselor and Immigrant Advocate. He is the president of IVC and is in several migration radio programs.

Got a question? Let us know - we're here to help.

Send us your migration concern

Other countries

Email and phone
Phone only
Social Media - please specify website (ex: Facebook, Google Plus, etc.) and account name

We need to make sure that you're human. What is 3 plus 5?

ICEF logoPIER logoANZCHAM logoBritish Council logo