Connect with us

Canada to Reject 100,000 Plus Residency Applications

Have you applied for permanent residency to Canada before February 27, 2008 and have not yet received a decision on your application? If you have received a favorable decision, you are on your way to moving to Canada most probably with your spouse, partner and even your over 22 year old son or daughter.

Share this article
Canada to Reject 100,000 Plus Residency Applications
Posted on October 24, 2012

If you have not yet received a decision, there’s still good news since the Canadian government will return your application fee back; you would be P420.00 richer because the Canadian-Peso exchange rate is higher today than it was on February 25, 2008.

The not so good news is that you could be running out of options if your application for residency under the Federal Skilled Worker class is returned.  Unless you have a job offer, you would be able to submit a new residency application only by January 2013 but the allocation of points based on age, education and experience will change.

Prior to the new rules coming out in January 2013, the maximum age will increase by 2 points (from 10 to 12) but the age range will narrow down (from 21 to 49 to 18 to 35).  The Canadian government seeks to attract young professionals and skilled workers with English proficiency, Canadian experience (working or studying) with relatives at least 18 years old and the spouse must also be proficient in English.  Returning of the applications, fees and new criteria are all products of the Jobs, Growth and Long-Term Prosperity Act (JGLPA) which came into force in July 2012.

How fees would be returned

You would need to fill out an online form (IMM5471e. The new law JGLPA “affects FSW applicants who applied before February 27, 2008, did not have a decision based on selection criteria before March 29, 2012, and whose cases were not finalized by June 29, 2012. If an immigration officer refused your application before the law came into force on June 29, 2012, you will not get your money back.”

Upon receipt of the form, Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s centralized task force in Ottawa will verify the mailing address. The check will be issued in Philippine pesos (or the appropriate currency known to be cashable in the applicant’s country of residence).  Depending on the exchange rate on the date the check is issued, you may or may not be P420.00 richer or poorer – if you get your check in the mail in about a year or more.

Be sure to provide the correct, current address. Otherwise, if the check gets lost in the mail, the Canadian government says do not blame them.

Got a question? Let us know - we're here to help.

Send us your migration concern

Other countries

Email and phone
Phone only
Social Media - please specify website (ex: Facebook, Google Plus, etc.) and account name

We need to make sure that you're human. What is nine minus four?

ICEF logoPIER logoANZCHAM logoBritish Council logo