Visa Bulletin Has Early Christmas Gift for F2A Petitioners

By Crispin R. Aranda, July 12, 2013

For the first time ever, the State Department's Visa Bulletin shows the F2A category as current. How can you proceed to get that immigrant visa interview?

F2A Green Card Petitions Now Current, First Time since Creation of Category

Green card petitioners get a wonderful, historic gift four months before Christmas of 2013.

For the first time since the F2A it was created in 1990, the State Department’s Visa Bulletin shows that category is current for August, 2013.

This means green card holders who filed petitions for their spouses and minor children can look forward to being reunited soonest– including green card holders who file petition for their same sex spouse. The US Supreme Court paved the way for same-sex petitions on June 26, 2013.

The F2A category – spouses and minor children of green card holders , officially known as lawful permanent residents – was created by the Immigration Act of 1990 (IA90) which later on became the current Section 203(a)(2)(A) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Increased Worldwide Visa Allocation in 1990

 IA90 increased the Family-sponsored category visas to 480,000 for  the years 1992, 1993 and 1994.  After those years, the worldwide Family –preference category is pegged at 226,000 annually.

The F2 category is comprised of F2A and F2B. F2A refers to the spouses and minor children of green card holders, the F2B for the over 21, unmarried sons and daughters of green card holders. The F2 category has the highest visa allocation of all the Family-preference numbers: 114,000 out of the 226,000 overall number.

Of the 114,000, the spouses and minor children (F2A) gets 77% of the overall second preference limitation. Seventy-seven (77%) of the 114,000 are exempt from the per-country limit. The F2B on the other hand gets the 23% of the 114,000.

Despite this huge visa allocation, the F2A has not been current – until now, or specifically starting August 2013. Nobody could tell if the category would retrogress once the pending F2A petitions with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) are approved and forwarded to the National Visa Center (NVC).

As of June 18, 2013, the USCIS processing time link shows that F2A petitions filed on or before November 15, 2011 are being processed.

The August 2013 Visa Bulletin is shown below:

Family-Sponsored

All Charge-ability Areas Except Those Listed

CHINA- mainland born

INDIA

MEXICO

PHILIPPINES

F1

01SEP06

01SEP06

01SEP06

01SEP93

01JAN01

F2A

C

C

C

C

C

F2B

01DEC05

01DEC05

01DEC05

01FEB94

22DEC02

F3

08DEC02

08DEC02

08DEC02

01MAY93

01DEC92

F4

22JUN01

22JUN01

22JUN01

22SEP96

08JAN90

 

Employment-based Categories

Employment- Based

All Chargeability Areas Except Those Listed

CHINA- mainland born

INDIA

MEXICO

PHILIPPINES

1st

C

C

C

C

C

2nd

C

08AUG08

01JAN08

C

C

3rd

01JAN09

01JAN09

22JAN03

01JAN09

22OCT06

Other Workers

01JAN09

22MAR04

22JAN03

01JAN09

22OCT06

4th

C

C

C

C

C

Certain Religious Workers

C

C

C

C

C

5th
Targeted
Employment Areas/
Regional Centers and Pilot Programs

C

C

C

C

C

          

If you need more information or assistance on how to get your visa interview for F2A petitions, complete our online form Help in Assisting Prior to Interview (HAPI). Click here.  Or you can email us at immigrants@visacenter.og

Crispin R. Aranda is an established immigration specialist. He is the president of IVC and is in several migration radio programs.