Tourism Management Graduate Diploma Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology
Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology, New Zealand
The tourism and hospitality industry of New Zealand is dynamic and full of opportunities for those interested to work in it. If you have a degree in any discipline, this Graduate Diploma in Tourism Management is a perfect vehicle for you to break into the industry. Develop the right skills to deliver a quality visitor experience by assisting clients and visitors achieve a unique holiday experience.
This program of study will:
- Enable you to take a holistic view of tourist organizations and to examine the relationship between tourism activity, the community, the environment and business;
- Provide you with the specialist skills and knowledge of management and strategy required to successfully work in and manage a sustainable tourism operation in New Zealand.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of Graduate Diploma in Tourism Management.
Read important information regarding the New Zealand student visa category
This is a one-year program, offered at the Mokoia Campus of Rotorua. While subjects may be taught using traditional classroom methods and assessment, this program may require industry internship.
Please note that you are responsible for your own transportation to complete the program.
This program will prepares you for the following careers and/or employment opportunities:
- In operations, or other middle manager position in a tourist organisation
- In a government department, or non-government organization, performing a marketing liaison or environmental research/monitoring role.
You may find yourself awash in employment opportunities and careers in positions of leadership and responsibility in diverse tourism businesses including:
- Tourist attractions and events
- Consulting companies
- Local and regional tourism, business and trade development organisations
By the time you graduate, you will be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Understand the nature of the tourism industry, the impacts of tourism on host communities and the sound management of tourism related businesses;
- Think independently and critically with respect to the management of the tourism resource in both domestic and international contexts;
- Understand essential management principles including marketing, planning and sustainability;
- Manage a tourism-related business/organisation in a multicultural environment;
- Produce, analyse and synthesise empirical data contributing to well-informed decision-making; and
- Apply research techniques to real world situations, as part of their development into independent and effective problem solvers.
Check other academic programs similar to this one.
You'll be covering the following topics in this graduate diploma program:
- Professionalism and core skills for tourism and hospitality
- Cultural dimensions of tourism and hospitality
- Impacts of tourism and travel
- Service management or destination management
- Environmental management and planning for tourism
- Tourism business strategy
- Industry internship
Duration : One year
Qualifications Level : Graduate Diploma
- The base tuition fee is NZD19,950.
- Uniforms and field trips fee is NZD250
Take note of the following:
- The above figures represent what Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology expects will be your base tuition fee. Other fees have not been considered such as:
- Airport transfer
- Mandatory Health Insurance
- Student services
- As costs are subject to change, the above figures may be changed at any time without notice by the administration of Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology.
- When estimating your cost of living for an academic year, include accommodation rent, weekly supermarket shopping, some meals on campus, electricity bills, heating bills, refuse bills, parking fees, mobile phone expenses, travel, clothing, snacks on campus, socializing, and health.
Intake Dates :
Start date for 2018 is 23 July.
IVC has a 2-3 month preparation period that includes, among others:
- Review by Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology for your eligibility;
- Processing by the International Admissions Office;
- Processing of insurance;
- Payment of tuition fee;
- Visa processing;
- Seeking accommodation.
It is important to apply early as this course may have many applicants. Moreover, beginning an application well in advance of the intake date will allow you a lot of time to prepare for the IELTS and consolidate your academic and professional credentials for your visa application. So make sure you apply early!
Admission and entry requirements for this qualification are in accordance with the academic regulations of Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology as listed:
- There are three ways where you may qualify to enroll in this program:
- You have completed an undergraduate degree in any discipline; OR
- You have completed a minimum of a two year diploma equivalent to NZQA Level 7 or higher in a related discipline; OR
- You are able to demonstrate at least three years equivalent relevant practical and/or professional experience (a curriculum vitae must be submitted detailing relevant work experience and professional achievements).
- As an international student, you must be able to demonstrate a level of English competency. You must therefore meet the minimum scores in ANY of the following tests that should have a validity of two years:
- IELTS (Academic Test) 6.0 overall band score with no individual band under 5.5
- Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-based (TOEFL iBT): 60 overall, writing score of 18
- PTE Academic: 50 overall minimum