Infection Risk Management Graduate Diploma Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology
Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology, New Zealand
If you work in a public health, clinical health, scientific, or food production environment knowing how to prevent and minimize the spread of infection is important. This one-year Graduate Diploma in Infection Risk Management (Level 7) will develop your knowledge in microbiology, epidemiology and epidemiological research, so you will learn best-practice strategies to prevent and lessen the spread of infectious organisms.
Our graduate courses are not only for nurses and other clinical staff, but anyone whose field of work involves the potential for infection transmission, such as scientists, lab technicians or allied health workers. You will also explore leadership issues and how these relate to the implementation and coordination of risk management.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of Graduate Diploma in Infection Risk Management.
Read important information regarding the New Zealand student visa category
This graduate diploma program is being offered at the Mokoia Campus in Rotorua. The program runs for one year on a full-time basis, including holidays if applicable.
You can finish this program in one semester if you have already completed the Graduate Certificate in Infection Risk Management.
Please note that students are responsible for their own transportation in order to complete the program.
Depending on your education background and work experience, you may find employment in the areas of:
- Public health or health monitoring
- Science or environmental analysis
- Food production
- Communicable diseases
- Local government
- As an infection prevention and control clinician
You may also move onto further learning in the following fields:
- Public health
- Food production
- Communicable diseases
Check other academic programs similar to this one.
You will be able to demonstrate the following competencies by the time you graduate:
- Evaluate leadership issues pertaining to the implementation and coordination of infection risk management utilizing evidence-based and best practice research;
- Identify the criteria required for the development, coordination and implementation of effective infection risk management monitoring and quality assurance strategies;
- Analyze the principles of developing and implementing culturally appropriate infection prevention and control practices and procedures, including the implications of the Treaty of Waitangi for health related organizations and environments;
- Identify the chain of infection and its physiological basis;
- Critically analyze the principles of epidemiology and epidemiological research;
- Analyze best practice strategies for managing and containing infectious diseases to improve population health;
- Critically analyze the requirements within health related organizations and environments with relation to preventing and managing risk of infection.
These are the courses you will be covering:
- Microbiology for Infection Risk Management
- Fundamentals of Infection Risk Management
- Leadership of Infection Risk Management
- Infection Risk Management in Practice
- Applied Research for Infection Risk Management
Duration : One year
Qualifications Level : Graduate Diploma
The base tuition fee is NZD19,950.
Take note of the following:
- The above figures represent what Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology expects will be your base tuition fee. Other fees have not been considered such as:
- Airport transfer
- Mandatory Health Insurance
- Student services
- As costs are subject to change, the above figures may be changed at any time without notice by the administration of Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology.
- When estimating your cost of living for an academic year, include accommodation rent, weekly supermarket shopping, some meals on campus, electricity bills, heating bills, refuse bills, parking fees, mobile phone expenses, travel, clothing, snacks on campus, socializing, and health.
Intake Dates :
There are two start dates in 2018:
IVC has a 2-3 month preparation period that includes, among others:
- Review by Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology for your eligibility;
- Processing by the International Admissions Office;
- Processing of insurance;
- Payment of tuition fee;
- Visa processing;
- Seeking accommodation.
It is important to apply early as this course may have many applicants. Moreover, beginning an application well in advance of the intake date will allow you a lot of time to prepare for the IELTS and consolidate your academic and professional credentials for your visa application. So make sure you apply early!
This qualification is ideal for Internationally educated registered nurses.
As an enrolled full-time international student, Immigration New Zealand (INZ) requres you to attend all your scheduled classes and show academic progress if requested by INZ.
English language competency is assessed on IELTS results. Other exams however, are deemed acceptable:
- Academic IELTS 6.0 with no band score less than 5.5 in any module
- TOEFL Paper-based Test is 550 with an essay score of at least 5 in the TWE
- TOEFL Internet-based Test is 79 with a writing score of 20
You'll be needing the following documents for your application:
- A copy of the first and last pages and the first empty page of the most recent and valid passport.;
- Copy of your birth certificate;
- If you are currently living overseas or are a permanent resident of a country other than that of your citizenship, you'll need documentary proof of your legal status in that country
- High school certificates or diplomas
- Relevant university transcripts of record
- Relevant university diploma
- Most recent resume
- Certificates of employment
- Evidence that you possess sufficient funds for both the tuition fee and living expenses for the duration of the program.
- Medical certificate from an authorized panel physician. Applicants from certiain countries may need a chest X-ray.