Health Studies Graduate Diploma Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology
Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology, New Zealand
This Graduate Diploma in Health Studies (Level 7) program of Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology provides students with advanced knowledge of the health care sector and the role of the health professional in New Zealand.
It will also provide you opportunities to explore the context of the health experiences of the individual, family and communities. You will also be able to develop specialist knowledge on palliative care and health of the older adult, as well as select a study option.
After graduation, you will be able to gain employment within a wide range of primary, secondary and tertiary health and disability sector services.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you will receive the award of Graduate Diploma in Health Studies
Read important information regarding the New Zealand student visa category
This is a one year full-time, including holidays (if applicable). There has been no announcement yet as to the start dates for 2018 and which of the campuses of Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology will be offering this program.
This program aims to support advancing studies through research inquiry. You may also choose to pursue higher educational learning in a post-graduate (Level 8) program.
Visit this url every now and then for updates!
You may find yourself in enhanced roles as health professional in the following sectors:
- Palliative care
- Rehabilitation, or
- Aged care support
- Clinical or community-based health professional, or
- Community-based needs assessor
You will also have the opportunity to broaden your academic profile by studying an area of interest in:
- Use of Information technology to gather data;
- Rehabilitation principles and practices, or;
- Māori society and matauranga Māori.
After successful completion of this qualification, you should gain skills and knowledge to be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analyze government and governance structures that influence health outcomes for individuals and communities within Aotearoa/New Zealand;
- Examine research inquiry, critique research, explore evidenced based research and its relevance to the healthcare setting;
- Plan and carry out a health research project;
- Critically explore palliative health care and the health of the older person from a holistic and multi-layered approach;
- Analyze concepts of the health professionals role, including; reflexivity, Kawa Whakaruruhau/cultural safety, legislation, Te Tiriti o Waitangi/The Treaty of Waitangi and health ethics;
- Demonstrate knowledge of health outcomes from a social, political and economic perspective for individuals, whānau/family and the wider community;
- Articulate knowledge of primary health care, health promotion and health maintenance;
- Pursue an area of specialist interest within health inquiry, rehabilitation;
- Explore a Maori world view;
- Work within a wide range of primary, secondary and tertiary health and disability sector services.
Check other academic programs similar to this one.
You will be covering the following topics in this graduate diploma program:
- Socio-political and cultural determinants of health
- Multi-disciplinary team and health outcomes
- Individuals, groups whanau/family and community holistic health experiences
- Complexities of palliative care
- Māori as consumers of health care
- Quality of life and quality of end of life
- Health professional roles and responsibilities
- Ethics in health practice
- Reflexivity and kawa whakaruruhau/cultural safety in practice
- Te Tiriti o Waitangi/The Treaty of Waitangi
- Governance in health care
- Ministry of Health; Policy, funding and health strategies
- Research methodologies
- Critiquing research
Duration : One Year
Qualifications Level : Graduate Diploma (Level 7)
The base tuition fee is NZD19,950.
Take note of the following:
- The above figures represent what Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology expects will be your base tuition fee. Other fees have not been considered such as:
- Airport transfer
- Mandatory Health Insurance
- Student services
- As costs are subject to change, the above figures may be changed at any time without notice by the administration of Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology.
- When estimating your cost of living for an academic year, include accommodation rent, weekly supermarket shopping, some meals on campus, electricity bills, heating bills, refuse bills, parking fees, mobile phone expenses, travel, clothing, snacks on campus, socializing, and health.
Intake Dates :
Intake dates for 2018 have yet to be announced.
IVC has a 2-month preparation period that includes, among others:
- Review by Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology for your eligibility;
- Processing by the International Admissions Office;
- Processing of insurance;
- Payment of tuition fee;
- Visa processing;
- Seeking accommodation.
It is important to apply early as this course may have many applicants. Moreover, beginning an application well in advance of the intake date will allow you a lot of time to prepare for the IELTS and consolidate your academic and professional credentials for your visa application. So make sure you apply early!
Admission and entry requirements for this qualification are in accordance with the academic regulations of Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology as listed:
- There are three ways to be eligible for this program:
- Have completed an undergraduate degree in any discipline; or
- Have completed a minimum of a two year diploma equivalent to NZQA Level 7 or higher in a related discipline; or
- Be able to demonstrate at least three years equivalent relevant practical and/or professional experience (a curriculum vitae must be submitted detailing relevant work experience and professional achievements).
- As an international student, you must be able to demonstrate a level of English competency. You must therefore meet the minimum scores in ANY of the following tests:
- IELTS (Academic Test) 6.0 overall band score with no individual band under 5.5
- Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-based (TOEFL iBT): 60 overall, writing score of 18 minimum
- PTE Academic: 50 overall minimum