Health and Rehabilitation Graduate Diploma Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology
Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology, New Zealand
This programme is for you if you wish to further your understanding in the areas of palliative care, rehabilitation and health of the older adult. You may find new opportunities for employment in a wide range of primary, secondary and tertiary health and disability sector services. And though this qualification does not lead to New Zealand nurse registration, you may go on to postgraduate study
If you decide to enroll in this program, you will be exploring the scope of New Zealand health ethics, legislation, cultural safety and the significance of Te Tiriti o Waitangi/The Treaty of Waitangi.
Specialist knowledge will be developed in the health context of New Zealand, public health, Māori health models, health of older adults, palliative care, and rehabilitation. By the end of your program, you would have learned to analyze and critique current research and recognize how evidence-based practice is informed by research.
Read important information regarding the New Zealand student visa category
This program is offered full-time in two campuses, Windermere Campus in Tauranga and the Mokoia Campus in Rotorua.
Please note that you will be responsible for your own transportation to complete the program.
Depending on your academic credentials and previous work experience, you may work within a range of health care settings, such as:
- Aged care;
- Palliative care;
- Health of the older adult and;
- Disability support services.
This qualification provides you with a pathway to higher educational learning at a post-graduate level (Level 8).
After graduation, you should gain skills to be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Apply information gathering, analytical processes and communication skills to competently participate in the contemporary Aotearoa/New Zealand health care industry;
- Utilize knowledge of the determinants of health to explore health promotion and disease prevention from a population and primary health context whilst considering the needs of individuals, whānau/families, groups and communities;
- Explore the complexities of palliative and continuing care, and the health of the older person from a holistic and multidisciplinary approach;
- Examine the roles and responsibilities of the health professional in Aotearoa/New Zealand;
- Analyze governance structures, policies and strategies that influence health outcomes for individuals and communities within Aotearoa/New Zealand;
- Apply the principles of evidence based research inquiry to analyze contemporary healthcare practice;
- Analyze transformative, contemporary and restorative rehabilitation from a multidisciplinary approach.
Check other academic programs similar to this one.
You will be covering the following topics:
- Academic and Information Skills for Health
- Population Health
- Health of the Older Adult
- Professional Practice in Aotearoa/New Zealand Health Care
- Palliative and Continuing Care
- Health Systems and Structures
- Applied Research in Health
Duration : One year
Qualifications Level : Graduate Diploma (Level 7)
The base tuition fee is NZD19,950.
Take note of the following:
- The above figures represent what Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology expects will be your base tuition fee. Other fees have not been considered such as:
- Airport transfer
- Mandatory Health Insurance
- Student services
- As costs are subject to change, the above figures may be changed at any time without notice by the administration of Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology.
- When estimating your cost of living for an academic year, include accommodation rent, weekly supermarket shopping, some meals on campus, electricity bills, heating bills, refuse bills, parking fees, mobile phone expenses, travel, clothing, snacks on campus, socializing, and health.
Intake Dates :
There are two intake dates in 2018 for two campuses:
- Windermere Campus (Tauranga): 21-May
- Mokoia Campus (Rotorua): 23-July
IVC has a 2-month preparation period that includes, among others:
- Review by Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology for your eligibility;
- Processing by the International Admissions Office;
- Processing of insurance;
- Payment of tuition fee;
- Student visa processing;
- Seeking accommodation.
It is important to apply early as this course may have many applicants. Moreover, beginning an application well in advance of the intake date will allow you a lot of time to prepare for the IELTS and consolidate your academic and professional credentials for your visa application. So make sure you apply early!
Admission and entry requirements for this qualification are in accordance with the academic regulations of Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology as listed:
- There are three ways to be considered eligible to enroll in this program:
- A completed, at the least, an undergraduate degree;
- A Level 6 diploma in a cognate subject;
- Can demonstrate equivalent practical, professional or educational experience. You must submit a CV detailing your relevant work experience and professional achievements.
- As an international student, you must be able to demonstrate a level of English competency. You must therefore meet the minimum scores in ANY of the following tests:
- IELTS (Academic Test) 6.0 overall band score with no individual band under 5.5
- Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-based (TOEFL iBT): 60 overall, writing score of 18 minimum
- PTE Academic: 50 overall minimum