With the financial services actively recruiting college graduates to meet the demand for financial planning and investment professionals, you may want to pursue a career in financial management and personal finance.
In this one-year Post-Degree Diploma in Financial Planning program offered by Douglas College, you will learn financial services marketing, Canadian securities, wealth management and more. These skills have been deemed essential for anyone considering a career with them.
Even better is that is that completing the post-degree diploma qualifies you to challenge the Level 1 Certified Financial Planning exam.
Upon graduation, you will receive the Post-Degree Diploma in Financial Planning.
Learn more about the Canada student visa category.
This Financial Planning Diploma (Post-Degree) is offered at the New Westminster campus of Douglas College. It is taught full-time for one year.
Please note that you will be responsible for your own transportation to complete co-op, externship, internship or practical lab requirements when these are included in a program.
You may check career opportunities in the financial planning field, depending on your work experience and academic background. You may qualify to work in:
- Credit Unions
- Securities Dealers
- Insurance companies
- In-house Financial Planner for large organizations
Check your migration options after graduation.
All of the courses listed below have three credits. To complete this Post-Degree Diploma program, you must pass 30 credits during your one year of study.
- ACCT 3008: Financial and Managerial Accounting for Managers
- FINC 2340: Corporate Finance
- FINC 2300: Personal Finance I
- FINC 3390: Security Analysis
- ACCT 3370: Income Tax I
- BUSN 3730: Law for Finance and Accounting Professionals
- FINC 3300: Personal Finance II
- MARK 3500: Financial Services Marketing
- Electives: Upper level Commerce and Business Administration Course (3000 to 4000)
- FINC 4340: Investment Management Techniques OR
- FINC 4360: Portfolio Management Techniques
* FINC 4370 may be taken as a student's upper level elective. This course qualifies students to write the Level 2 CFP exam.
Check other academic programs similar to this one.
Course Code : PDFIPL
College : Commerce & Business Administration
Duration : One year
Qualifications Level : Post-Degree Diploma
All fees listed below are quoted in Canadian Dollar (CAD).
- Registration & Service Fee: 34
- Base Tuition Fee: 8,700 (for 15 units)
- Students' Union Fee : 62.40
- Other Student Activity Fees: 47.70
- U-Pass: 164
Take note of the following:
- The above figures represent what Douglas College expects will be your reasonable international fees. Textbooks and mandatory health insurance have not been included
- Externship, internship, work term, apprenticeship fees are not included in the tuition fee. This could range from $450 to a full term.
- You will be responsible for your own transportation to complete externship, internship or practical lab requirements not listed above.
Intake Dates :
There are three intakes per year:
- Fall (usually September)
- Winter (usually January)
- Spring (usually May)
IVC however, accepts applications for an intake date up to 7 months before the start of classes. This preparation period includes:
- Review by the department/school for your eligibility;
- Processing by the Admissions Office of the college;
- Processing of insurance;
- Seeking accommodation;
- Processing of your student visa application.
The long period will also allow you sufficient time to:
- Review for the English language proficiency exam;
- Collate your documents;
- Put together funds for the initial Tuition Fee payment and maintenance funds.
So be sure you apply early! After all, you deserve the best professional service we can offer.
Admission and entry requirements for this qualification are in accordance with the academic regulations of Douglas College. You must comply with the following requirements:
- You must have graduated with a recognized degree granting post-secondary institution with a minimum 3-year bachelor degree; and
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 60% (or equivalent) during the bachelor degree program
- As an international student, you must be able to demonstrate a level of English competency. You must therefore meet the minimum scores in ANY of the following tests:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet Based Test (TOEFL iBT): Overall score of 83, minimum 20 in all sections;
- IELTS (Academic Module): Overall score of 6.5, no band below 6.0.
Check Immigrant Visa Center's international school partners.