At Toi Ohomai you can advance your study of professional leadership by applying theoretical study to examples of work-based situations. In this program, you will be advancing scholarly research, hone leadership skills with your assessments and projects directly supporting your professional employment.
Using theories and models of continuing development through leadership, you will be able to:
- Critically examine theories and models of continuing development through leadership;
- Exhibit advanced knowledge and expertise in professional leadership in the context of your specialist field;
- Maintain leadership currency and critique your leadership practice to explore and evaluate your own personal practice.
You have a choice of enrolling in Masters study so you may complete both this postgraduate diploma and the masters degree within 18 months. You may also complete this postgraduate diploma then find employment after course completion.
You are encouraged to apply for enrollment early because there are limits to the number of students admitted and enrolled on the program. The award you will receive after completing this program is the Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Professional Studies (Adult Teaching).
Read important information regarding the New Zealand student visa category
This program is offered at the Mokoia Campus in Rotorua. It is a one year full-time program, including holidays (if applicable). If you have already completed the Postgraduate Certificate in Applied Professional Studies (Adult Teaching), you can finish this course in one semester.
The Postgraduate Certificate in Applied Professional Studies is specifically aimed to prepare its learners for roles such as a:
- Tertiary lecturer
- Staff development and training officer
- Educational resources designer/writer
- Academic manager
- Nurse educator
Interested in further studies? You may be eligible for entry into other endorsements of the Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Professional Studies program or further studies in your area of specialization.
Upon successful completion of the Postgraduate Certificate in Applied Professional Studies, you should gain skills to be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Develop pedagogical (teaching) content expertise within their field of study;
- Critically evaluate their personal practice;
- Critique challenges and issues within their specialist field and use to solve problems;
- Operate within their communities of practice;
- Advocate for yourself and others.
Check other academic programs similar to this one.
These are the topics you'll be covering:
- Critical Reflective Practice
- Adult Learning Theory
- Assessing for Learning
- Designing Learning Programmes for Adult Learners
- Adult Teaching Practice
- Nga Tikanga Rangahau: Research Protocols
Duration : One year
Qualifications Level : Postgraduate Diploma (Level 8)
The base tuition fee is NZD19,950.
Take note of the following:
- The above figures represent what Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology expects will be your base tuition fee. Other fees have not been considered such as:
- Airport transfer
- Mandatory Health Insurance
- Student services
- As costs are subject to change, the above figures may be changed at any time without notice by the administration of Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology.
- When estimating your cost of living for an academic year, include accommodation rent, weekly supermarket shopping, some meals on campus, electricity bills, heating bills, refuse bills, parking fees, mobile phone expenses, travel, clothing, snacks on campus, socializing, and health.
Intake Dates :
The 2018 intake is on 23-July-2018.
IVC has a 2-month preparation period that includes, among others:
- Review by Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology for your eligibility;
- Processing by the International Admissions Office;
- Processing of insurance;
- Payment of tuition fee;
- Visa processing;
- Seeking accommodation.
It is important to apply early as this course may have many applicants. Moreover, beginning an application well in advance of the intake date will allow you a lot of time to prepare for the IELTS and consolidate your academic and professional credentials for your visa application. So make sure you apply early!
Admission and entry requirements for this qualification are in accordance with the academic regulations of Auckland Institute of Studies as listed:
- You must meet one of the following:
- Hold a bachelor's degree or a graduate certificate of graduate diploma in a cognate subject;
- Hold the Postgraduate Certificate in a related discipline at NZQA Level 7 or equivalent with a recognized tertiary provider AND
- Can demonstrate at least two years relevant practical, work experience;
- Two written references one from an employer, the other a character reference.
- You must have access to a relevant workplace. If you are not currently employed it is expected that you'll have at least two years relevant experience to draw on.
- As an international student, you must be able to demonstrate a level of English competency. You must therefore meet the minimum scores in ANY of the following tests:
- IELTS (Academic Test) 6.5 overall band score with no individual band under 6.0
- Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-based (TOEFL iBT): 79 overall, writing score of 21 minimum
- PTE Academic: 58 overall minimum